Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Location: Home Relationship advice FAQs My partner had an affair and I don’t know how to cope. Can you help?

My partner had an affair and I don’t know how to cope. Can you help?

Betrayal in a relationship causes a lot of pain, hurt and confusion. It certainly is emotionally upsetting and draining. Some people or couples never recover from that and it ultimately leads to the breakdown of their relationship. Others hang in there and work it through over a long period of time with the help of a counsellor. Rebuilding the trust in a relationship after an affair can be a daunting prospect, and would need a commitment to the relationship from both you and your partner.

You and your partner may want to consider counselling to discuss your feelings and to gain an understanding of yourselves and your situation and your needs within your relationship which will strengthen your capacity to make choices and your ability to achieve goals.

Counselling can help couples to:

  • understand the relationship they have
  • discover why they chose each other in the first place
  • find out what they wanted from their relationship and from each other
  • understand how they contributed to whatever their relationship has become
  • discuss what they feel about each other now
  • decide what they are prepared to do to make it work.

You can get individual counselling at Relationships Australia. We offer counselling services to individuals, to couples and to families about their relationship issues.

Counselling can help to:

  • improve relationships
  • address sexual concerns
  • prepare for changes in a relationship
  • deal with the pain of when relationships change or end.

The role of our counselling programs is to help individuals, couples and families to find their own answers.

Counsellors do not make judgments on who is right or wrong; they don't tell clients what to do; and they don't try to persuade people to stay together or to separate.

If you would like to book a counselling appointment, please contact the Relationships Australia office in your state or territory.

Personal tools