What can I do to improve my relationship?
- Be supportive; try not to make judgments when your partner makes mistakes, or does things differently from how you would do them.
- Ask for help when you cannot cope with a situation.
- Share the load - agree on who will do what in the household.
- Make time specifically for yourself - soak in a bath, read, listen to music, talk on the phone to friends, exercise, relax - and encourage your partner to do the same.
- Express your feelings honestly.
- Be caring and sharing.
- Respect and accept your differences and your similarities.
- Notice when your partner attempts to connect with you and show appreciation.
- Listen attentively.
- Take responsibility for your actions.
- Be flexible and willing to change.
In long-term relationships, we often assume we know all there is to know about our partners, but people change. It is very easy to lose that connection, and not know where our partner is at now, who they are now.
- Look at what is happening in the relationship.
- Stay curious (but respectful) about each other.
- Listen, and communicate your needs. Don't wait for your partner to try to guess what is going on with you.