Most of our counselling services are conducted face-to-face, but we also offer online and telephone counselling for people in remote areas (in some states) and for those with special needs, and some 'farm gate' services are provided at clients' homes for remote rural clients.
Family and relationship counselling
Counselling can help a couple to:
- understand the relationship they currently share
- rediscover why they were attracted in the first place
- find out what they now want from their relationship and from each other
- understand how they contributed to whatever their relationship has become
- discuss what they feel about each other now
- discuss what they are prepared to do to make this relationship work.
Counsellors don't make judgements on who is right or wrong; they don't tell clients what to do; and they don't try to persuade people to stay together or to separate.
To find out more about our counselling services or to make an appointment, contact the Relationships Australia in your state or territory.
Counselling for separating/divorcing couples
Counselling programs also help people who are separating and/or divorcing, to deal with their grief and anger and to let go, so that they can move on with a new sense of purpose and optimism. This includes looking at:
- how relationships change
- how to bear and manage grief
- what is the real value of anger
- what acceptance is and what it enables us to attain it
- discover a pathway for the separation
- learning to be "single"
- becoming able to face the prospect of a new and sustaining relationship.
Counselling and working through the problems of separation with someone who has no involvement or investment in the outcome can help people get through this difficult time.
In reality, many people live happy, fulfilled lives following a relationship breakdown. Many people choose to re-partner and many do not. There is no right way.
Online relationship counselling
Relationships Australia offers a service where you can chat privately and securely about family or relationship issues with on line an professional counsellor.
Specialist counselling services
Relationships Australia provides a range of specialist counselling services. Please note that not all the services listed below are available in all states and territories. Please contact the Relationships Australia office nearest you to find out how they can help you.
Sexual Concerns Service
Relationships Australia provides a quality specialist sexual concerns counselling service to individuals and couples who wish to address any of the following concerns: differences in levels of sexual desire, loss of sexual desire, painful intercourse, inability to achieve orgasm, erection difficulties or sexual functioning that has been affected by chronic illness, surgery, disability, the ageing process, child sexual abuse, or general issues about sexuality. The service also provides opportunities for sexual enhancement through learning new ideas and techniques.
Contact the Relationships Australia office nearest you to find out about this service.
Pre-parenthood relationship check-up service
This service involves sessions with a counsellor to give your relationship a 'check-up' and discuss ways to strengthen it.
It involves the following resources to assist you:
- Relationship questionnaire - common aspects of relationships are explored and this gives you an opportunity to explore how your relationship is going.
- Relationship booklet - to take home and read.
- Pre-parenthood relationship seminar - helps you prepare your relationship for the demands of parenting and hear how others are responding to the same life event.
Contact the Relationships Australia office nearest you to find out if they offer this service.