Ideas to nurture your relationship include:
- Talk about your day and the things that both excite or worry you.
- Spend time alone together and ensure it is a priority.
- Celebrate the good times together.
- Express affection and give your partner thoughtful little surprises like a small gift, a flower from the garden on their bedside table, a favourite treat, an unpacked dishwasher or a special meal.
- Develop common interests, though allow time for independent interests as well.
- Listen to your partner and communicate your needs. Don’t wait for your partner to try to guess what is going on for you.
- Talk about sex and what is good about your sex life and what, if any, issues there are.
- Tell your partner when you are happy or unhappy about something – honestly and respectfully – and encourage your partner to do the same. This is better than avoiding difficult topics.
- Try to find solutions that are suitable for both of you. Prepare to compromise.
- Respect and accept both your differences and your similarities. Try not to make judgements when your partner makes mistakes, or doesn’t do things your way.
- Aim to be flexible and willing to change or try something new.
- Be supportive in the good and the challenging times, and ask for help when you cannot cope with a situation.
- Share the load – agree on who will do what in the household and to what standard.
- Make some time just for yourself and encourage your partner to do the same.
- Take responsibility for your actions and feelings.
One small change can sometimes make a big difference.