There are a number of reasons why people choose to marry or are wary about getting married.
According to surveys that Relationships Australia has conducted over a number of years, people choose to get married:
- for love
- for companionship
- to signify a life-long commitment
- to provide security for children
- to make a public commitment to each other
- for legal status and financial security
- for religious beliefs.
Others avoid marriage for reasons including:
- a previous bad experience
- wanting to avoid a commitment
- the belief that strong commitment does not need marriage
- fear of making a mistake
- enjoying the single lifestyle
- fear of divorce and what goes with it.